The James Family

A smile happens in a flash...but its memory can last a lifetime.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

My new goal!

So I have a new fitness goal. I wrote briefly about it in my tag. Anyway my new goal is to pass the "PRT" for my age and gender. For those not familiar with the military...PRT stands for physical readiness test. It's a fit test that every service member must complete and pass every six months. Recently, the Navy has really cracked down on the PRT standards and if you fail 3 PRT's in your career, you are OUT OF THE MILITARY! This has always been a real stress for Ned. He has never failed one and is in good shape, but just the thought that our livelyhood is riding on his athletic ability can be quite daunting. So the bast 14 months I have lost 55 pounds and met a lot of fitness goals, but I think this will be a good new goal for me. I am hoping to be able to show Ned that we are a team and I am willing to work just as hard for him as he works for us. So, I have been working like crazy this week. The requirements for my age group is the following:

1.5 mile run in 15:45
47 sit-ups in 2:00
15 push-ups in 2:00

Ok, for those of you who have athletic ability you are probably laughing right now. I know it might seem easy. But I have always struggled with sports and athletics. I am 6 ft tall and it seemed like everyday at good old Harrison High School someone asked me why I wasn't on the basketball team. Simple answer: I have no skills what-so-ever. I did push myself to play tennis in high school to try and stay in shape. But as soon as I got married the pounds c-r-e-p-t on until 2 kids later when I hated what I had become. So I have had a major milestone this week...I have been running for over a mile at a time without stopping and without feeling like I'm going to die. I know it will take me a little while to be able to do the full mile and a half in the time given. But in a way I'm doing this to show my sweet and wonderful husband how much I support him. I love him so much, and I'm so proud of the work he does. I am so grateful that health is important to him and he works hard to be in the best shape he can be. I am really grateful to all our service men and women who push themselves everyday to be ready to protect and defend our freedoms. So here I go, I'll keep you posted! Alisa...good luck on your 5K run! Maybe someday I'll be able to run one, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay that was so funny!!! Your background changed as I was reading your blog! THanks for the help

Jake and Alisa said...

Sister, I think you run more than me right now! Hey, can you give me the stats for my age/body group? I would like to know what they think I should be able to do. I'm 5'3", 178 lbs. and I'm 33. Let me know on my email. Thanks. Luv ya!!