The James Family

A smile happens in a flash...but its memory can last a lifetime.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all...










Tatum was so cute today in church. I ended up subbing for Amy's Sunbeam class today in her Ward. During sharingtime, we were talking about families and the lady asked the kids what were some things that Daddy's did for families. Tatum's eyes lit up and she raised her hand until she was called on. She proudly said "My Daddy works on a boat!" She was so excited to tell everyone. I know that these deployments are hard on the kids. In a lot of ways, it's not fair that they have to give up Daddy time. But when I get discouraged I think of this quote from President Hinkley:



"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around and shouting that he has been robbed. The fact of the matter is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."





Life sometimes isn't fair, but we can't dwell on what we don't have. It's important to be grateful for what you do have. Even though we spend months apart, I am blessed to have a wonderful husband in this life and for eternity. He is the best person I have ever known. Not to brag or anything, but after six years of marriage, he has never once raised his voice to me. I am amazed at his love and sincerity and commitment to our family. My biggest pet peeve is when someone refers to me as a "single mom" because Ned's out to sea. Ned is such an involved Father no matter where he is. I feel his love and support for me daily despite nautical miles between us. And even though things aren't always perfect and fabulous I will trust in President Hinkley's words. I'm happy to have the ride, it has already been more than I could have ever hoped for despite its imperfections.



0 comments: