The James Family

A smile happens in a flash...but its memory can last a lifetime.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Realizing the dream

For several years as an adult I had been trying to mentally block out my teen years. I know that it's a hard time in every one's life. For me, it was a horrible time. I was so insecure of myself, I hated my personality, my looks, I struggled in school, I felt like I didn't fit in anywhere. I was so glad when I met Ned and got married I felt I could finally "start my life" the way I wanted it. Then once facebook became popular, I found it to be really therapeutic. I re-connected with a lot of old friends and I realized that even though it was an awkward time in my life, I still had good friends and memories from my past. One of those great friends is my partner in crime, Andrew. We worked at Subway together for several years and went to school with each other since the 5th grade up until the 11th grade. Andrew is moving to Seattle and was here on business and decided to pay old Whidbey Island a little visit. It was great seeing him again! We just hung out on the Island for a couple of hours and ate at...wait for it...Subway! One thing I remember about Andrew is not being able to stop laughing. He hasn't changed a bit and it was great to reminisce about "the old days". It was great to show off my beautiful kids, too. I have really only kept up with 2 or so high school friends on a more personal level than facebook...so it was great to have my kids with me. We visited with Andrew and it was great to see his dreams coming true and hear about his life in New York City as a director. I am continually realizing that I am now living my dream of being a wife and Mommy. Yes, it has it's hard...very hard days. But it's what I've always wanted and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The best part about my life now is that I don't feel that I've lost myself. I still feel like I make time for me and find ways to learn and do new things. This is a big accomplishment for me and I can honestly say to myself that I have never been happier as I am right now. My life is not without its trials, but I have a great husband and wonderful kids. So to everyone out there let's just remember that our lives are all different. We all are on different journeys. I just hope that whatever journey you are on is headed toward the place you want to be.






0 comments: